Share Even If They're Stubborn




“Who would like to share their testimonies?” Art asked. The whole congregation went stiff and silent. “Anyone? Come on! Anything the Lord has done for you is a testimony?” he encouraged.
Everyone avoided Art’s hopefully gaze. “Okay, fine.” Art said with disappointment, as the church sighed with relief,” But don’t expect me to let you get off as easy next time. You’re dismissed. Thank-you all for coming, and enjoy the rest of your week! God Bless!” The chapel was soon empty except for a young man who nervously walked over to the pulpit. “Excuse me, Pastor...I was wondering if I could talk to you?” the teenager stammered. “Sure. Just go to my office, and I’ll be there in a second. Let me just get my stuff,” Art explained.


“So what do you need, umm?” Art offered. “My name’s Dante*. I need some help. So my sister, Dolores, has been hanging out with this bad crowd, and won’t listen to me or my parents. Me, especially, because I have just become a Christian. Just last night we had to pick her up from the the police station, and I tried to talk to her, but she was as tight as a clam. I invite her to church, shower with her love, and tell her about Jesus, but she refuses to listen. I scared that something drastic will have to happen for her to open her eyes, and I don’t want her to go that route. I just don’t know what to do,” Dante wearied. “Wow. That is something. It seems your sister has a pretty hard shell, just like you did,” Art empathized. “How did you know I was like that too?” Dante inquired with surprise. “Oh, Dallas told me all about you. It took him weeks to break through to you,” Art explained. “So how did he get through to me? What helped?” Dante asked excitedly. “It only took three thing. Love, prayer, and time. You have to love Dolores as the Lord sees her, not as you see her. Pray for the Lord to save her from sin and convict her as she spends time with the wrong people. I’m sure you know how the last one works. The Lord works in different ways than we do, and he has a perfect timing for everything. No matter how long it take he will come through to Dolores. Continuing telling her about Jesus, too,” Art taught. “That’s it. That’s all I have to do…” Dante replied with uncertainty. “Yep, it worked for you didn’t it. It also worked for me. My sister was trying to show me the light, but I was also too stubborn to listen. But I was so amazed at this new love she had for me, and I was lead to Christ too,” Art said with encouragement. “How long did that take?” Dante inquired. “About two years,” Art smiled. “Two years! But that too long!” Dante feared. “Actually it was perfect. You never know it might take with you sister, so don’t lose faith,” Art said, full of positivity. “Thanks, Pastor. I appreciate all the advice,” Dante thanked him. ‘No, prob. By the way call me Art. It’s what everyone called me,” Art offered. “Okay, then. Goodbye, Art! Thanks again!” Dante exclaimed with new found hope. “Goodbye, Dante! See ya next week! And bring Dolores!” Art replied. “You know I’ll try!” Dante laughed.


In this story, Dante is trying to guide his stubborn sister, Dolores, to Christ. He seeks advice from his church’s pastor, Art. The tools that Art offers are love, prayer, and time. 1 Corinthians 13:8 says,”Love never fails…” Love will get through to the stubbornest people that you know, and by love I mean the Lord’s love**. Luke 11:9 says,” So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” By ask Jesus means pray. Prayer is simply talking to God.  Psalms 27:14 says,” Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” The Lord will do what he says he will do, but we all must wait, just like Abraham and Sarah. They had to wait many years for the child God had promise them, but God fulfilled the promise. So, use all these tools to deliver people and share the good news!
*Read “Gift for the Good News”
**John 3:16

Comments

Popular Posts