He's Got Your Back




Dante laid on the floor, with his headphones glued to his head. He had just started his homework, and had stuck them in when his sister, Dolores, had gotten into an argument with their mom. “ It’s just one party, and their will be adults there,” Dolores retorted. “By adults, I don’t think you mean parents,” Dolores’ mom argued. “Why don’t you trust me? These last few months I haven’t gotten into any trouble,” she persisted. “I know, I know. Dolores, I want to trust you. It’s just…I don’t want to lose you again...That’s how it started last time. It was just one party, with “adults”. We’ve got a great relationship, that I’m scared of losing you if  get sucked back into that world,” Dolores’ mom explained. “So you don’t trust me?! Ugh! No one is this house does!” Dolores exclaimed, as she ran to her room and slammed the door.

Knock, knock. “Hey, Dante...Are you there?” Dolores asked, as she opened the door to her brother’s room. Dante looked up in surprise and slipped off his headphones. “Hey, whatcha need?” he replied politely. “Um, I wanted to ask you a question…” she explained sheepishly. “Okay, sure. What’s the problem?” Dante agreed. “I’m sure you heard the argument I had with mom, about trusting me and all. I mean both mom and dad said they didn’t, and I was curious if you did. So do you trust me?” she asked curiously. “You know I don’t trust anyone, except the Lord.” Dante answered with a smile. “Dante, stop using this Christian crap* to hide the excuse that you don’t trust me,” Dolores seethed. “Following Jesus has been the best decision I have ever made, Dolores. Even if you don’t agree, please don’t insult my choice,” Dante defended,” And don’t be offended that I don’t trust you. I don’t even trust myself.” “You don’t? Why not?” she inquired curiously. “I make mistakes, too. Remember that time I skipped exams to go to Vidcon**. I was grounded till school started again,” Dante laughed,” I fall into temptation all the time, but now that I have Christ I don’t have to sin anymore. I trust in Jesus to keep me from making mistakes, because if I trust in myself I am sure to fail.” “That kinda makes senses, I guess. But why not trust anyone else?” Dolores pondered. “Other people fail too. The only one who keeps promises is the Lord. He will never forsake his people,” Dante smiled. “But how do you know that God will keep promises? How do you even believe he is real?” she argued. “That’s simple. There are so many stories in the Bible, that show God’s promises fulfill. I have faith though them,” he explained,” Now I have a question for you. I know you asked everyone else in the house, but have you asked yourself. Do you trust yourself?” “Dante, I...I really don’t k-know,” she stammered,” That’s why I came and asked you. But if you don’t even trust yourself, I don’t know who to trust.” “Trust in Him,” he replied confidently.

“Mom, can I talk to you?” Dolores sheepishly asked. “Sure, sweetheart. What is it?” her mother responded. “Today I made the decision, just like Dante, to give my life to Christ. I wanted to apologize for everything I have done wrong to you. Also, I wanted to say that I love you,” She explained. “I love you too, sweetie, and I forgive you. What made you make that decision?” Dolores’ mom inquired. “I finally found someone who’s got my back,” Dolores explained. “Who?” Dolores’ mom pressed. “Jesus,” she smiled.

Proverbs 3:5-6 says,”Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” Dolores felt like no one trusted her, and she didn’t even trust herself. Dante explained his trust in the Lord, which made Dolores wonder who she trusted. We shouldn’t trust ourselves or anyone completely; I don’t mean be suspicious of everyone around you. I mean the person who we have no doubt will forsake us shouldn’t be a person or yourself, but the Lord. He will never leave you nor forsake you***. So trust fully in the Lord, because he’s got your back!

*This language is only used to express how Dolores feels
** VidCon is a multi-genre online video conference, held annually in Southern California since 2010. (Creds to Wikipedia)
***Joshua 1:5 or Hebrews 13:5

Here's a video that applies to the theme:
 

Comments

Popular Posts