Don't Look Back Because You Will Lose Track



Cough! “Yeah, Elona. I’m not feeling too well....I especially don’t want to be around the elders with my strep throat....Thank-you...Have nice day…Good-bye,” Dallas lied, as he hung up the phone,” Whew! Now to finally have a day to myself. Today will be Dallas Day, just Like Old Times” He reached for his keys and happily walked out of his apartment.


“Hey, Alana! Are you off today?” Dallas greeted. “Hey, Dallas. I am, but I’m busy babysitting. I thought you had to work today?” Alana curious inquired. “I did. But that was before I tricked Elona into thinking I was sick. Ha! She totally believed it. So today is Dallas Day! I haven’t had a Dallas Day since I became a Christian, so I wanted to invite you to celebrate with me,” he explained. “Wait, you lied to Elona just so that you could have a “Dallas Day”? That’s so selfish! How could you ask me to do such a thing!” Alana exclaimed. “I’m very disappointed in you, sonny,” a sad, quiet voice wearied. “Elona! What are you doing on the line?!?” Dallas cried in shock. “Alana was babysitting my grandkids for me today. I was planning on keeping them myself, but you called in sick. There was too much work at the office for me to take the day off,” Elona explained. “Oh, I...I don’t know what to say, Elona…” he replied. “Please call me Mrs. Ferris, sonny. Please think about your commitment to the job. I’m really considering firing you, Dallas. I’ll see you tomorrow. Good-bye.” Elona croaked. “Elona, wait! I-” Dallas pleaded. “She’s gone, Dallas. I don’t know what to say. I haven’t seen this side of you in months. Please just think about what you done. Bye, Dallas.” Alana retorted. In seconds, Dallas was alone with only the traffic to keep him company. What was he going to do?


“Dallas, What are you doing here?!? No one comes to the office at this time, except me.” Elona gasped. “Before I resign, I wanted to finish all the work you assigned me for the quarter,” Dallas explained. “But that was months of work! You didn’t have to do that…” she mumbled. “Mrs. Ferris, I want to apologize for lying to you yesterday. I would like to resign.” he replied confidently. “I forgive you, sonny. But you can’t resign. You have too much good potential, that I don’t want to go to waste,” she gave a small smile,” But you are going to have to gain my trust back. Which means the next time you get sick, I need to see a doctor report. Also, you’ve lost your bonuses. Mistake come with come consequences. Okay?” “Aye, aye, Captain. Thank you. I won’t disappoint you again.” he answered. “Don’t thank me. Thank Alana. She’s the one who persuaded me to keep you. Now that’s a true friend,” Elona admitted. “She sure is,” Dallas added.

In this story, Dallas went back to his old ways*. In Ephesians 4:21-22 says,”When you heard about Christ and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires.” The only way to stay in the Lord is to stay away from your old ways. That includes people, things, and surroundings that influenced your past behavior. Whatever any of these may be they cause sin, which separates you from God, just like Dallas. Remember Lot's wife. She was turned into a pillar of salt, because she looked back at the city of Sodom and Gomorrah. So stay away from anything that causes you to turn back, so that you can stay close to the Father.


*Read “Favor in the Office”
**Read “Why The World I the Way It Is”

Here's a song that applies to the theme: 

Comments

Popular Posts