How Can the Lord Forgive You, If You Can't Forgive?




“Come on, Alana! It shouldn't take you that long to pack up your box. The game starts in an hour, and you’ve hardly filled enough dinner sets!” Dallas complained. “Don’t rush me, Dallas! I don’t want to mess up this kid’s dinner set,” Alana defended. “But, Alana, I’ve already finished sixteen boxes, and you’ve only done seven! We don’t want to miss tip-off. Please go a little faster?” he begged. “Fine, but don’t ask me again. I want to do my best, and I can’t if I’m rushing to get to some basketball game.” she explained. “Thanks! I’m so excited. It was a miracle to snatch up those tickets at the price I found them!” Dallas replied excitedly. “You’re welcome, now get started on your next box. The game awaits!” Alana laughed.


“Did you really have to take that long, Alana?! We have to get to that game and traffic’s getting worse by the minute! Couldn’t you consider how I felt?!” Dallas fumed. “I’m sorry, Dallas. I tried packing the dinners faster, but I kept on messing up, so I just decided to continue on my regular pace. I didn’t want any of the children to receive mess-up dinner packs. Will you forgive me?” Alana asked. “Forgive you? Forgive you! You really think that you can hand me a little wrapped apology and pretend like this never happened. It’s too late for that now! The game is already in full-swing due to your slow butt!” Dallas shouted. “Dallas, do not speak to me like that. I am truly sorry for ruining your evening, and I promise I’ll make it up to you, but I won’t allow you to speak to me like that. Please apologize,” she corrected. “Me? Apologize to you? Yeah, right! You’re the one who messed everything up tonight. It’s not all about you, Alana. Little Miss Perfect is always right and always the victim!” he thundered. “That’s it, Dallas. Stop the car,” Alana commanded. “What? Why?” Dallas asked, confused. “I’ve taken enough of your bullying. I’ve apologized to you repeatedly, yet you treat me like I’ve tried to harm you. I’m taking a taxi home,” she explained confidently. “I don’t care what you do with yourself. I plan to go to the basketball game, with our without you!” he retorted. “How can the Lord forgive you, if you can’t forgive others?” Alana blurted, as she hopped out the truck,” I hope you make it there on time.”


Dallas walked over to the ticket counter with a grim frown. “Hello, sir. Do you have a ticket for the game?” the ticket taker asked politely. “Here,” Dallas muttered as he handed over his crumpled ticket. “Thank-you, sir. Go on right ahead to the door on my right. Just so you know, the game ends in about seven minutes,” the young man added, as he checked the ticket on the scanner. “I know. Now if you’ll excuse me…” Dallas rudely spat, and walked into the stadium. “Some customers,” the ticket taker mumbled.


Dallas dragged his feet across the thin carpet, thinking about his last conversation with Alana. Was she right? Dallas slipped his phone out his pocket and opened his Bible application, as he slid into a booth. An unfinished video popped up. “...We are going to go to the parable of the Unforgiving Servant in Matthews 18. Let’s start at verse 23. ‘The kingdom of God is like a king who decided to square accounts with his servants. As he got under way, one servant was brought before him who had run up a debt of a hundred thousand dollars. He couldn’t pay up, so the king ordered the man, along with his wife, children, and goods, to be auctioned off at the slave market.The poor wretch threw himself at the king’s feet and begged, ‘Give me a chance and I’ll pay it all back.’ Touched by his plea, the king let him off, erasing the debt.The servant was no sooner out of the room when he came upon one of his fellow servants who owed him ten dollars. He seized him by the throat and demanded, ‘Pay up. Now!’ The poor wretch threw himself down and begged, ‘Give me a chance and I’ll pay it all back.’ But he wouldn’t do it. He had him arrested and put in jail until the debt was paid. When the other servants saw this going on, they were outraged and brought a detailed report to the king.The king summoned the man and said, ‘You evil servant! I forgave your entire debt when you begged me for mercy. Shouldn’t you be compelled to be merciful to your fellow servant who asked for mercy?’ The king was furious and put the screws to the man until he paid back his entire debt. And that’s exactly what my Father in heaven is going to do to each one of you who doesn’t forgive unconditionally anyone who asks for mercy.’ So to sum that up, The Lord can only forgive you, if you can forgive others.” Dallas knew what he needed to do.


Ephesians 4:32,” And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.” If we can’t forgive one another, then how can the Lord forgive us for all we have done? We must be quick to forgive, and hold no grudges.


Here’s a song that applies to the theme:

Comments

Popular Posts