Tempted: Yes or No?




Alana had been trying to eat healthier the past few weeks, but so far she was finding no success. ‘It’s just one candy bar. I haven’t had anything with sugar in a while,’ she lied to herself,’Why not? I’ll skip next week’s cheat day.’ Alana bought the candy bar, and knew that she was going to to do the same thing tomorrow.

“Hey, Alana! I was calling to see if you wanted to go to the new bakery in town? I know you have a thing for sweets…” Dallas persuaded. “Um...I don’t know if I should, Dallas. You see I’ve been trying to eat healthier the past few weeks-” Alana explained. “That’s perfect! This can be your cheat day. I’ll pick you up in couple of minutes!” Dallas excitedly interrupted. “Dallas-” Alana persisted, but it was too late. He had already hung up.

“I’ve been waiting all week to check this place out. I hear they have eclairs, macaroons, donuts, and cupcakes. Aren’t you excited, Alana?” Dallas asked her as they drove towards the bakery. “Yeah, sure.” she replied absentmindedly. “Are you okay?” Dallas inquired with concern. “Oh, I’m fine. I just- Oh, it doesn’t matter..” Alana sadly responded. “What is it, Alana?” Dallas persisted. “Okay. You know how I been trying to eat healthier the past few weeks?” Alana asked. “Yes. What about about it? he empathized. “Well, I’ve haven’t been following my diet. I eat more junk than before...I feel bad about going to the bakery, because I know I won’t be able to resist any of the goods,” she shared. “That’s makes sense. At least you’re trying to eat healthy,” Dallas encouraged as he turned the car around,”1 Corinthians 10:31 says,’Therefore, whatever you eat or drink...do all to the Glory of God.’ Now I all you have to do is resist the temptation of eating junk. What food do you have the most trouble avoiding?” Dallas asked. “Definitely candy bars. I buy one every day! I just need someone to help me say no,” Alana grumbled. “God is always watching. You can ask the Lord to tell you ‘No’ every time you think of buying some. Read 1 Corinthians 10:13 tonight. And pray,” he explained as he drove into her driveway. “Thanks, Dallas. Sorry about ruining your bakery excursion.” she apologized as she got out of the vehicle. “No problem. I’ve been meaning start eating healthier too. Maybe it’s a sign from God. Goodnight, Alana.” he politely assured. “Goodnight, Dallas.” she replied.

That night Alana read 1 Corinthians 10:13. It said: No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. She was soon encouraged and prayed for hours asking God to chastise her around her temptation. Alana fell asleep that night knowing that she would finally say ‘No’ to any candy bars that came her way.

Alana walked towards the counter and stared at the candy bar in front of her. ‘No, no, no, no. You don’t need it. You don’t want it. Oh! That one has zero calories! That wouldn't  be too bad,” she thought. Suddenly a great audible voice thundered one simple word: NO. Alana quickly turned her eyes from the candy and walked back to the exits of the store. “Are you okay, ma’am? You look like you seen a ghost,” an employee asked as she walked out. “You would look like me if you heard the voice God,” Alana replied back with a shaky smile. Thank God! She had won the battle against temptation!

Temptation comes from everyone, but the Lord knows how to help win the fight (Remember 1 Corinthians 10:13). The only way to win against temptation is with His help. If at the moment you aren’t dealing with any temptation pray against them (Matthew 6:13). With the Lord by your side, temptation won’t stand a chance.

Here is a clip form "LarryBoy and the Bad Apple":

Comments

Popular Posts