I'll Do It Later



'Should I do it now? I don’t want to miss my show. I still have time to do it tomorrow…' Dallas was fighting procrastination, and so far it was winning. He couldn’t decide if he should mail his package or miss his show. Dallas had struggled in the past with procrastination* and doing what was most important first. ‘Yeah, I’ll do it tomorrow. This line will be shorter, and I will have time to go home and watch TV,” Dallas decided. KO! Procrastination had won again.


Ring! It was Alana! “Hey, Alana! What’s up?” Dallas politely greeted. “I’m doing fine. Were you able to mail that package I gave you? Mr. Walker needs it sent by tomorrow morning,” Alana inquired. Dang it! He had forgotten when and why he needed to send the package! “Uh, yeah. I’m almost done with that,” Dallas sheepishly lied. “How can you be almost done mailing a package? Dallas, don’t lie to me. My job is at stake here! Please make sure it’s sent by tomorrow morning. Okay?” Alana insisted. “Okay, I promise. Sorry, I didn’t do it sooner.” Dallas apologized. “I forgive you. Now how was your day? I have talked to you in a while,” Alana asked. “I’m doing okay, but I think I may have a problem,” Dallas vented. “What’s that?” she responded. “Procrastination is getting the best of me.” he confessed. “James 4:17 says,’Remember, it is a sin to know what you ought to do and not do it.’ That’s pretty much procrastination. Dallas, I know that you want to please the Lord and not sin, so just remember putting things off is a sin. I’ve gotta go. I’ll see you at church.” Alana signed-off. “Thanks, Alana! You’re a good friend. See you at church!” he replied.


“Beep!” sounded his alarm. The first thing that went through Dallas head was: Gotta mail that package! He quickly got dressed. In five minutes flat, his was driving through his neighborhood ,with the package, going straight for the post office. Gurgle! Man, was he hungry. “I think I’ll stop for some breakfast. I still had enough time to- No, I’m not put this off again. I going to finish this job!” Dallas decided. KO! Dallas had won his first fight with procrastination!


Procrastination is not of God. God is always on time, and never puts off things. He wants his children to do the same. How can we do what he says if we keep procrastinating? Just remember James 4:17 whenever you feel the need to procrastinate, and know that God doesn’t want you put anything off.

*Read “Favor in the Office”

Comments

Popular Posts