God's Work


Dallas walked around the room handing out popcorn and peanuts to the elders. Oh how he loved volunteering! I gave him joy*, just like Alana said. He had been volunteering for week or so, and had loved it! He was also doing well on his job. He had already received a bonus! Elona loved him as an employee as much as Mr. Walker loved Alana! Dallas loved his work, and did everything with excellence. The residents also accepted him. He had many new Christian friends who live here, pouring wisdom into him everyday. He had found a place where he belonged.


Alana sat in her car in front of Timid Oaks. She was here to visit Dallas and volunteer. The only problem was she was a little bit uncomfortable with the elderly. Alana knew it was God’s will for her to help these people, but she didn’t know what to expect! Alana slowly got out of her car and dawdled to the building. She walked up to the receptionist, acquired a name tag and a set of dilapidated instructions to Dallas’ office. Alana reached his office in ten minutes and knocked on the door.


“Alana! It’s so good to see to you! Are you ready to get your hands dirty?” Dallas said with childish delight. “Someone’s full of joy! It’s good to see you. So what are we doing today?” Alana nervously smiled back. “We are going to help with bingo today. Are you okay? You seem a little bit on the edge,” he asked with concerned. “I’m a little nervous. I don’t hang around many elders. But I’ll be fine,” she replied. “Are you sure? We could help with reception, if you want,” he offered.” “I’m positive. God wants me to be here,” Alana confidently expressed.


“That was awesome!” Alana said with delight. “I knew you liked it!” Dallas agreed. “The residents have so much wisdom and show so much love. I’m definitely coming back!” she happily decided,”I’m happy I didn’t back out. Helping people is a privilege! Just like it says in Acts 20:35,’It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ May I come again?” “Of course! Your welcome whenever! Thank-you for coming with me. It’s nice to see someone develop a love for helping God’s children,” Dallas exclaimed. “Look who becoming a little pastor. Well, I’ll see you on Sunday, Dallas. I’ve gotta go.” she sadly realized. “Okay.Thanks again for coming! Bye,” he responded. “Bye, Dallas!” exclaimed Alana.

Proverbs 19:17 says,”Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed.” The Lord wants his people to help one another, especially those in need. Isaiah 61:1 says,” The Spirit of the Lord is upon me; because the Lord hath appointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;” All of the things God appointed were acts of volunteering. It’s easy to find places to volunteer. For example, you can go to  www.teenhop.com to find a place to record your hours and volunteer with a chapter near you**. So go volunteer today and do God’s work.


*Read "I've Got That Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy"
**Or create your own chapter!

Comments

Popular Posts