Insta & Thrifting

Instagram is the millennial's MySpace (since Facebook isn't dead yet). It's the magical internetland full of angled selfies and over thought captions, where trolls and FitTea ads roam free through feeds. Unlike Snapchat or Twitter, there's more emphasis on the person and their friends instead of their daily activities or their opinions and thoughts. If you want to know someone through how they want to be portrayed, check their insta. It's like Google, but more selective.

For example, consider this scenario. You just met someone at a party/social gathering/church/places where you meet people. They seem like a potential friend even though you only conversed for an hour or two. Since we live in the 21st century, you exchange phone numbers and most importantly social media profile names (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Tumblr, and etc.). This is where the lowkey stalking begins😅

Let's be honest, we've all done this. And by this I mean spend hours on end scrolling (w/o liking old pics) through that person's insta, then their cousin's insta, then their cousin best friend's insta, and eventually their cousin's bestfriend's boyfriend's sister's page. That's why you know about the trip that their cousin's bestfriend's boyfriend's sister took to an eye-opening mink farm in Denmark. It's a creepy (yet effective)way to use the social media platform.

What your profile name is (like that weird underscore phase), your profile pic, what your bio consists of (gotta love those Blank Space lyrics), how many followers you have (the more the merrier), how many people you follow, your pictures (try to have a mix between selfies and pics w/ friends), your captions, how many hashtags your use per post (there needs to be a limit). These are all factors in how strangers and new acquaintances see the internet you. But that one of the benefits of having Instagram. You control all these factors.

The reason I'm talking about Insta is that I'm back from my social media fast. For the last 6-9 months, I haven't posted, liked, ghosted on Instagram, Snapchat, and other sites. I didn't even post anything for my 16th birthday. I went on the social media fast because I got in trouble for being on Insta and forgetting to make dinner. I mean obvi, I didn't go on the fast on my own decision, but I'm very happy the situation happened. Going cold turkey opened my eyes to how much time I spent on social media. Instead of looking at cat videos, I had to have real conversation w/ people when interaction got awkward😂. I still had Basically Brookie to cure my tech cravings, but BB is still more interactive, more real. 


I mentioned that I'm back on social media, but I'm not back back like I was before. I don't keep the apps on my phone (temptation🍎), and I only go once a week. I don't want to get sucked into the rabbit hole again. I still love Insta; II just haveboundaries in place, so I'm actually in control of both my Insta and myself. 


Which leads us to the next topic of this post. CLOTHES! This year has been very eye-opening style-wise. The past few years, I dressed like a hobo (let's be honest). Giant plaid jackets that use to be my dads, combat boots *shudders* and dry hair. I realized this when my mom posted a vid on her Facebook about how I dressed. I felt embarrassed, not because she posted the video but how I looked. I know I beautiful, but my outfit said otherwise. It was lowkey an intervention video lol. Since then, I have been working to construct a "look". If you read BTS LOOKBOOK & NEW "BROOKE LOOK", then you know what I'm talking about it.


Creating a whole new look w/ my closet was pretty difficult, so I knew that I needed to go shopping. I love shopping, however, I have class. Class = high price tags. I didn't want to spend X amount of money on a shirt to complete my look, so I decided to go thrifting. The Huffington Post describes it best. "Thrifting is a unique experience — digging through cluttered racks and shelves, the musty smell of who-knows-what permeating the air, and of course the possibility of finding something really awesome. It's the ultimate example of one person's trash being another person's treasure." I don't like wearing people old clothes (unless I know them personally), so this was a very interesting experience. I went to one consignment story that was pretty high quality and bought 1 white dress shirt and 1 pair of Lucky Brand jeans for good price. That was the end of my thrifting endeavors. I still wear both the items, but I didn't want to go digging through selves of strangers leftovers. A few weeks past by, and I was still w/o the closet of my dreams until a miracle occurred.


My mom loves clothes and shopping. It's hereditary lol. She has a beautiful selection of clothes from years of great style, but her style evolved. She didn't wear the majority of the clothes that she had in storage, because they were from her college/twenties days of "Nancia". I was telling my mom about my thrifting endeavors, and she agreed that it wasn't the best idea to expand my closet that way. Then the clouds opened, and the angels began to sing as my mother proclaimed these words: You can go through my old clothes. 


It was like shopping for stuff that was already paid for. Oooo, I like that blouse! Add to arms. That leather jacket w/ matching bag😍 Add to arms. I ran up the stairs to my room and had fashion show w/ all my new clothes. It was like Chanukah! Today, my closet is full of beautiful, classy clothes that reflect my style and my face lol. You can see some of my outfits on my insta @brooke.samaryan! Also, shout out to my mom: Thanks for all the great clothes! 


That's basically what's up w/ Brookie! Thanks for reading + commenting + sharing! Much love xoxo


IMMA LET YOU LEAVE, BUT FOLLOW ME ON INSTA @brooke.samaryan! Can't let you leave w/o sharing my profile lol. But seriously, follow me!


*I just edited this post, because I realized how many time I wrote "lol" in one paragraph. *cringe* I've become that person lol. Oops, I did it again.*


Comments

Popular Posts